Ultimate Editor

Ultimate Editor; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

@DCER no message error sorry for the confusion but UE will only select the first entry in planet.pst for eavh ID (as i'm guessing trek.exe would?) not that there's any reason for wanting to duplicate planet id!
Yes, probably. In any case. it should be the same one selected every time. If you run Check Integrity, it will find the duplicates and give one of them a new id.
@DCER UE seems to sort this already (limited test) does it?
The counters are set by UE, yes (in older versions too). This is now also answered here: viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=19659#19659 :)
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

thanks DCER
Quintaine
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Quintaine »

Hello

DCER i have a question. What is the topical Version from UE? I have 0.7.0c on my PC and I have suggestion. Can you integreate in your Editor a Button to copy Buildings? So we can better and easy new buildings integreate in the mods, it was nice when you can the same Button integreate to better Add/Remove new Shipsclass.

Sorry for my broken English i can not good them.

Now I want to say that you Editor it was vary good. Your Editor it was vary powerful. Thanks for build, for us.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I do not believe this is possible due to lack of known code? (correct me if I am wrong DCER) I am not sure but I think buildings work a little differently than ships, which I am sure if we were completely able to add new buildings, there would already be a button for it in UE ;)

I am almost certain the code masters are working on this :P
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Hi Quintaine,

The current stable version of UE is 0.7.0c, the current development version is 0.7.1dev4. The dev version is more unstable and likely to have bugs. You can find both here: http://www.4shared.com/dir/248238/25afb ... ditor.html

As Thethys said, no one figured out how to add buildings yet, but maybe one day this mystery will be solved as well.

Thanks for the praise :)
Quintaine
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Quintaine »

Oh the great master answer me :)

Thanks for the Link for the new Version. It was helpfuly when you making the Link in the Tool Section under Download. I hope i can help You with the Button and I hope I find them in the next Version from UE ;).
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

DCER might it be possible to add an Add Tech Level button to UE? I think this is the codes you would need? Thank you we love u :D

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=20219#20219

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=20049#20049

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=19991#19991
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Tethys wrote:DCER might it be possible to add an Add Tech Level button to UE?
Tethys, this doesn't work yet (at least not tested), so far it's just pointless cosmetics.

You must increase ALL(only first 2 are unclear) future tech related values from this list (updated) by 1 and update ALL res-tech-files (I don't even know them all) to support tech 0-11 for all areas - in order to enable all tech databases, screens & popups. This also includes the required research points for the tech-11 levels! Then start a new game (maybe some values influence blocksize of savegames/dynamic-data) and test.

So first make 100% sure that this will work properly in BotF.
*handing out the Varon-T disruptor to DCER*
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Oh ok... reason I asked is because I wanted an easy way to edit the techtree positions of new tech levels without having to go thru each one every time one decides to add another one... very time consuming..

sorry if i was premature with this :(

BTW, arent those outlawed in the Federation due to only having a vaporize/kill only setting? 8O
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:*handing out the Varon-T disruptor to DCER*
Haha :lol: Thanks, I think I'm good though :D

Tethys, I'll see about adding it as an experimental feature that needs to be enabled in options. But it'll only edit stbof.res files, as those are at least mostly well researched.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Ok thanks, that should help out a little. I appreciate it :P

EDIT: HOLY crap DCER! New UE version took my palette from 113 to 96! Good work man! this is awesome! lots more ship models now :D

EDIT 2: I would also like to note that when editing sfx.snd and hitting 'Save' the file disappears (somewhere 8O) and you have to choose 'Save As' manually overwriting the file... perhaps you could make it to where when u hit 'Save' it saves sfx.snd as a backup (maybe sfx.bkp.snd) and overwrites the old one with the new one? Just a suggestion ;) thanks

EDIT 3: Hmm, 'Save As' deletes the file as well... i think you have it written to delete the file AFTER its done copying (that or the file and the backup are the same name) :o

PS: I will be taking Java scripting classes in January (if i finish my A+ cert coursework by end of fall) so I might be able to help out scripting some of UE for u :D
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Just released dev5, which will allow you to add new techs.

You need to go to settings and enable experimental features first. This will add an "Add" button to the tech screen.

There are 3 bytes in techtree.tec which have unknown meaning, but they seem to be the same for all entries. UE will copy those bytes from an old entry. The unknow bytes start at 57'th byte, if you want to check it out.

Also since botf is usually keen on sorting and breaks when there is none, UE will sort techtree entries by field and level, then reset their indexes, just to be safe. On an unmodified file this mean no change sicne the entries are already sorted there. If there are problems with it, let me know.
Tethys wrote:EDIT 2: I would also like to note that when editing sfx.snd and hitting 'Save' the file disappears (somewhere 8O) and you have to choose 'Save As' manually overwriting the file... perhaps you could make it to where when u hit 'Save' it saves sfx.snd as a backup (maybe sfx.bkp.snd) and overwrites the old one with the new one? Just a suggestion ;) thanks
This should already be happening :/ If the file disappears it will likely be found in UE's folder as snd.tmp or some such. I'll look into it. Thanks.
Tethys wrote:PS: I will be taking Java scripting classes in January (if i finish my A+ cert coursework by end of fall) so I might be able to help out scripting some of UE for u :D
JavaScript is not the same as Java. JavaScript is a scripting language used mostly on web pages, while Java is a programming language used for writing regular applications and also applets (which are used on web pages). They get mixed up by a lot of people. So much so that even the Wikipedia article says "Not to be confused with JavaScript.". :)
Quintaine
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Quintaine »

DCER that was vary good but have yoz my Buttons Too integreated?^^ Can you this next please?
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

DCER wrote:There are 3 bytes in techtree.tec which have unknown meaning, but they seem to be the same for all entries. UE will copy those bytes from an old entry. The unknow bytes start at 57'th byte, if you want to check it out.
Yeah I knew about those, I just copied them as well when i inserted my Techs...
DCER wrote:Also since botf is usually keen on sorting and breaks when there is none, UE will sort techtree entries by field and level, then reset their indexes, just to be safe. On an unmodified file this mean no change sicne the entries are already sorted there. If there are problems with it, let me know.
Thats exactly what I was hoping for, thanks :D
So does this also update trek.exe with the 'next' tech levels automatically, or would I still need to set the threshold for breakthrough manually (i apologize if I did not include the link for that code) its no problem tho to add it manually ;)
DCER wrote:JavaScript is not the same as Java. JavaScript is a scripting language used mostly on web pages, while Java is a programming language used for writing regular applications and also applets (which are used on web pages). They get mixed up by a lot of people. So much so that even the Wikipedia article says "Not to be confused with JavaScript.". :)
Now that you say this, I am not sure which it is... I will have to ask when i go to school (first day!) on Monday! :D

Also, @ Quintaine
DCER wrote:Hi Quintaine...

As Thethys said, no one figured out how to add buildings yet, but maybe one day this mystery will be solved as well.

Thanks for the praise :)
He can not put a button because building code has not been analyzed enough. :(
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Tethys wrote:So does this also update trek.exe with the 'next' tech levels automatically, or would I still need to set the threshold for breakthrough manually (i apologize if I did not include the link for that code) its no problem tho to add it manually ;)
No, it won't change trek.exe in any way, just techtree.tec.
Tethys wrote:Now that you say this, I am not sure which it is... I will have to ask when i go to school (first day!) on Monday!
If it turns out to be Java after all, I'll be happy to accept your help :D

Return to “Ultimate Editor”